Friday, April 10, 2009

I Bought Comics: April 8, 2009

[For the first time ever, I will not just be discussing my non-CBR-reviewed purchases, but one of the books I reviewed for CBR as well... again, not reviews, just thoughts, impressions, what have you.

Captain Britain and MI:13 #12

One of my fellow CBR reviewers, Greg McElhatton points something out in his review of this issue that I hadn't considered before: Paul Cornell is writing a fresh and interesting vampire story that is unlike anything that came before. I hadn't thought about that, but it's true. How the fuck did he do that?

Timestorm 2009/2099 #1

What I wrote in my e-mail to Augie when I submitted my review: "So, they try to cash in on the 2099 name, but then deliver a different 2099 world... what is wrong with people? Who thought that would be a GOOD idea in any way? And will Brian Reed ever write a comic that I don't want to throw out immediately after reading for fear that it's mediocrity will somehow rub off on my other comics?" I forgot to add that Eric Battle's art is the sort of shit you'd expect to find in a random issue of Spider-Man Unlimited during the period where Ben Reilly was Spider-Man. I'm thinking of a specific issue and next time I'm at my parents' house, I may have to hunt for it to see if he actually did art in it.

But, seriously, what is the goddamn point of using the 2099 name and then changing the whole fucking thing? "Well, Chad, you have to read the series to find out." After a pisspoor comic like this, I don't quite see that happening.

(And in a possibly odd judge of its quality, I've yet to see a thread for this issue appear on CBR's forums. Normally, by this time, a thread would have shown up--even for the shittiest of comics--and someone would have called me some bad words because I didn't appreciate the obvious genius of this week's true masterpiece. Seriously. There was even a thread devoted to proclaiming how wrong I was to trash The Death-Defying 'Devil #4--not a thread for the issue, but for my review. Only two people participated and neither of them were me. But, yeah, not a single thread yet? Not a good sign.)

Wolverine: Weapon X #1

I generally like Jason Aaron's writing, but this left me cold. It feels like half a first issue. Here's what happens: Logan learns that old Weapon X technology is being used to alter people. That's it. Sure, that information is conveyed in an entertaining enough manner, but that just doesn't cut it.

Young Liars #14

On Tuesday, I was upset over the utter shunning of Young Liars by the Eisner's. On Wednesday, I was enthralled by the absolute genius of this issue and made even more upset. Best comic there is right now.