Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quickie Reviews (May 19 2010)

Before getting to the two non-CBR-review books I got this week, I'd like to point you to this week's 411 Wrestling Top Five list, which is on top five misconceptions in wrestling. Check out my list since my #1, 2, and 5 entries can all easily be applied to comics. Especially my number one misconception. Wrestling and comics: more alike than different it seems most days...

Hellboy in Mexico: This is the first Hellboy comic I've read. Like with a lot of quality books, I've avoided jumping in because I wanted to start at the beginning and work my way through the complete series/series of series... I've heard so much good about Hellboy and the other books that share that universe that it will happen. But, people kept telling me to pick this up. It's a stand alone, they said. It's got wrestling. It's Mike Mignola and Richard Corben! It was a small week for me and I saw the shop's final copy just sitting there and... hey, who am I not listen to all of you wonderful people? And it's a damn fine, fun read. Hellboy in Mexico in the '50s, fighting off vampires and other monsters alongside a trio of Lucha Libre brothers. Fighting monsters all day, getting drunk all night, culminating in a wrestling match. It's a sparse book that I'll probably come back to in the next few days to just look at. Richard Corben's art is something I don't see nearly enough of. [****]

Joe the Barbarian #5: I don't know. I'm enjoying this, but don't have any real opinion about it. Great art. I was worried about Murphy slipping as the book progressed, but it hasn't happened thankfully. The connection to Joe's dad is pretty obvious and that phonecall to his mom is... oddly touching and strange. A good issue. [***1/2]

Now, off to write some kind words about Avengers #1, which I really enjoyed.