Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I Bought Comics (July 22, 2009)

[I purchased comics today. I have reviewed many of the comics I've read this week. Here, I will discuss the ones I haven't reviewed in ways that have nothing to do with reviewery. Yay.]

The Boys: Herogasm #3

...did... did Hughie get a thumb shoved up his ass? And why was he huddled when Butcher went looking for him, but back as Black Noir left him later in the issue? Meh. This mini is inferior to the main title. I'm enjoying it, but not as much as The Boys proper. Nothing much seems to actually happen here, you know? And you would think a mini-series that is happening at the same time as the main book would exist because things need to happen. Enjoyable, but not great.

Captain Britain and MI:13 #15

THE END.

It sucks that this title has ended, but, now, I can go back, reread it and enjoy a very, very good 16 issues of comics. I don't think this issue ended as well as it needed to given that it's the final issue of this fantastic series. That's a lot of weight of expectations. Were this simply the end of "Vampire State" with issue 16 out next month, it would read better -- and that's clearly how it was written, for the most part. Cornell obviously threw in a few character beats to give the series a bit more closure, but this is mostly the end of a storyarc. A very good storyarc, of course. I'll miss this book. Expect a reread review on it at some point in the future.

Only two non-review books. I guess I'm not reviewing Wednesday Comics #3, but I discuss that series with Tim, so... Next week will be a bigger crop of non-review books since I reviewed so many books this week and want to take it a bit easier -- especially since I'm moving in with my girlfriend this weekend and, then, next weekend, we'll be at her friend's cottage. A week or so of stepping back from comics a little. Not completely, of course, but a bit. Expect any thoughts on San Diego to show up in my random thoughts post over at Comics Should be Good on Tuesday at 5 pm EST. It's posted at that time every Tuesday. Just as I aim for my reread reviews to go up at 2 pm EST on Sundays. I like the regular schedule, as you can guess.

Now, I'm off to eat some doritos and watch Malcolm in the Middle, a highly underrated show.