Monday, January 03, 2011

CBR Review: S.H.I.E.L.D. #5

I recently reviewed S.H.I.E.L.D. #5 for CBR and, in the process, wrote the following sentences: "It’s not always easy to forge a clear and concise opinion of S.H.I.E.L.D. It’s one of the more challenging and different titles published by Marvel in a year that saw more Strange Tales, Spider-Man: Fever, and Deadpool MAX hit the stands. Jonathan Hickman has a large story to tell and is still in the process of setting the mood and context. But, does that mean we just ignore the lack of plot? Or the fragmentary storytelling that doesn’t actually provide a context? We’re five issues in and I can’t really say what S.H.I.E.L.D. is about beyond a vague description about the secret organization and some historical figures. It’s a comic you have to give a large benefit of the doubt to and, as it approaches the end of its first volume, how much longer should that benefit be extended?"

You can read the rest HERE!