Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sketch Reviews (June 23 2011)

Batman: Gates of Gotham #2: The first issue left me a little lukewarm, but I really enjoyed this one. Great character work, an interesting backstory, and a pretty awesome end. [****]

Brightest Day Aftermath: The Seach for Swamp Thing #1: When I saw the previews for this comic, I wondered if that was supposed to be Chas with John and, apparently, it was. Good thing someone wised up and said that the art looked nothing like Chas and had it changed. That's about the only good thing about this comic. Just a fucking mess of a comic that doesn't seem to have any sense of any characters. I wonder if Vankin knew which version of Batman he was even writing, because that wasn't Dick despite the costume indicating it's Dick. Ugh. Just not good. But I knew that when I bought it. Just wanted to see how fucking awful this John Constantine story would be... and make reviewing any future issues easier if I wanted. [-**]

The Mighty Thor #3: Colour me surprised, but I really enjoyed this issue. The disparate threads connected up and make for a lively, entertaining read. Fraction manages to write engaging dialogue -- the stuff with the Silver Surfer was great. Probably my favourite Thor comic he's written since that last one-shot he did a few years back. [****]

Secret Avengers #14: What the fuck was that shit? I'm not buying any more of this shit until Ellis arrives. [BAD FUCKING COMIC]

Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates #5: You knew Nick Fury would have something up his sleeve... and it's magic Hulk pills... huh. That's... was it ever mentioned that Black the First Hulk took pills to maintain his Hulkness? 'Cause I don't remember any mention of that. There is something comedic about Fury and his Avengers getting Hulked out. They just look like bodybuilders and that's kind of funny. They don't look scary. Hell, Clint Barton just looks a little absurd and weird. Shit, I don't know what to make of this comic. I liked some parts and hated others. On the whole, this is still my favourite Ultimates stuff from Millar, especially of the Ultimate Avengers bunch. Looking forward to the final issue. One final thought: that's all Spider-Tao does? What a fucking waste... [**3/4]

Later