Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Sunday Open: Astonishing X-Men Hardcover Vol. 1 and the Eternals

Alright, fuck, shit, I have got a headache, so this may be briefer than I want. I got a couple of Marvel hardcovers over the past week, so let's do this.

The Eternals

Yeah, yeah, what was the fucking point of this series and haven't I read this whole "gods tricked into being human until one of them remembers and begins gathering them together" stuff before? Yes, I did, in a little series called Journey into Mystery, which spun out of the then-cancelled Thor book when Heroes Reborn happened. And then it's happening again in the current Thor book. Fuck, people.

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1

I read these comics when they came out and wasn't that thrilled. Seemed like Whedon was just playing to the fan(boy)s with various classic-type moments meant to push the right buttons, but not actually signify anything. The comic was cute and who gives a damn about a cute comic featuring the X-Men really?

I've got to say that the issues work better when read together like this, but not by much. Still cute and lovely and blah blah blah, but still not getting why it's so great (or so the people tell me). Geoff Klock has some great write-ups on the book and I reread 'em last night, but still not seeing it. But, I'm not loving All-Star Superman the way everyone else is either, so maybe I'm broken inside.

One thing that did bug me: the giant sentinel they encounter at Genosha--I thought it was made into that Magneto monument in Morrison's run. I could be wrong, I don't have Morrison's stuff here, but I remember it as that. Anyone else with me?

I would go on, but headache and apathy win the day.

Tomorrow, we jump right into some more Jim Starlin comics. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.