Sunday, January 27, 2013

Blogathon 42: Whether Comics Critics Should Turn Pro

This is one of Graeme McMillan's topics...

Sure, why not. My reason for this is actually selfish. I would like to assume that any comic critic who turns pro would have the good sense not to bitch about critics so much. Not to e-mail critics complaining. That they would understand what's happening. It's not personal, it's just reactions to what's being read. Unless that's not how it is for them. Then, we're screwed.

I've never spoken to him or read what he has to say on the topic (I assume he has), but I've been interested for a while in how Kieron Gillen views reviews/criticism of his work. He spent a long time as a video game reviewer and would have a good understanding of what the job is like. There are some other pros who were once where we are. I don't have a lot of contact with creators or hear a lot of gossip so I don't know if they're better/worse than other professionals who were never critics. But, that understanding of what writing about comics is like, you'd assume they would better pretty easygoing.

Then again, maybe they would assume they should get a pass -- or that any negativity is just sour grapes. And that could be the case sometimes. I don't know. I've yet to deal with a situation like that. And I doubt it will come up in the next couple of days. I hope it doesn't.

There was a time when I wanted to write comics, but I don't anymore. it doesn't appeal to me terribly. The business side of comics disgusts me quite a bit. What you need to do and put up with... fuck no. I don't care that much about seeing any of my 'great ideas' in print. Besides, if you turn pro, you can't be honest about comics anymore. I'd never be able to do that. Someone would ask me the wrong question and I'd answer and, BOOM! I'm on Bleeding Cool in a Twitter war with someone. Sounds awful.

I would like to see more comics pros become critics as well. I like seeing pros write about comics. Even if it's just positive shit. Warren Ellis is still one of my favourite writers about comics -- that aspect of his career is my favourite, actually. It would be healthy to see a bit more crossbreeding between the two worlds. Next Boxing Day, how about all of the pros and all of the critics switch places? Sounds good to me.

In 30 minutes, something else. It's a surprise!

[Don't forget to donate what you can to the Hero Initiative (Details in this post)! After you do, let me know via comment or e-mail (found at the righthand side) so I can keep track of donations -- and who to thank.]