Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Quickie Reviews (August 25 2010)

Things are busy busy busy here with reviews to be written, blog posts to be written, plus super-secret things to be written. So why am I using my precious time for this? Because I love these super-short 'reviews.' I need to work at them a little more, so they can become these small, hardened, diamond-like things. Need to get better... always... onto reviews...

Gravel #20: After two storyarcs of Gravel working his way through magicians, killing them all as if they were nothing, the same thing is happening to him with his home and safe places all destroyed, and the new Minor Seven killed with even less effort than it took for him to do the originals. Granted, the originals were much more accomplished, but still. Crazy nutter that Gravel should have just killed is responsible. I have no idea if this series is continuing after next issue or if it will end after three seven-issue storyarcs. Either way, I'm sure I'll be okay. [****]

Thor #613: The longer this storyarc lasts, the less I care. I'm not sure why exactly. It's a logical outgrowth of what Gillen did during Siege, but... it's just not clicking with me. Maybe it's the overwrought narration by Mephisto's demon pal (that even Mephisto makes fun of!). Maybe it's a group of villains that I find boring. [**1/2]

Wonder Woman #602: And, because the only way to describe my reaction to this issue is to quote some of J. Michael Straczynski's dialogue from an episode of Babylon 5 from the third season, I'm sticking that under a cut in case you don't want to get spoiled.

John Sheridan: For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing but stand there and look cryptic! Well, it's about time you start pulling your own weight around here. [...] I hear you've got a saying: "Understanding is a three-edged sword"? Well, we've got a saying, too: "Put your money where your mouth is"!

Kosh: Impudent.

Sheridan: Yeah? Well, maybe that's the only way to get through to you. You said you wanted to teach me to fight legends. Well, you're a legend too, and I am not going away until you agree!

Kosh: Incorrect. Leave. Now.

Sheridan: No.

Kosh: Disobedient!

Sheridan: Up yours!

[he gets thrown against the wall by an energy blast from Kosh]

Sheridan: So, the real Kosh shows his colors at last, huh? You angry now? Angry enough to kill me? Because that's the only way I'm leaving. Unless your people get off their encounter-suited butts and do something, I've got nothing to lose! God, my own government wants to kill me, and if we lose this war, I'm just as dead! Our only chance is to get the other races on board for this fight and right now you're the key to doing that.

Kosh: It is not yet time.

Sheridan: And who decides that time? You? You put me in this position. You asked me to fight this damn war! Well, it's about time you let me fight it my way! How many people have already died fighting this war of yours, huh? How many more will die before you come down off that mountain and get involved? Ships, colonies, whole worlds are being destroyed out there, and you do nothing! How many more? How many more, Kosh? How many more dead before you're satisfied? Huh?

Kosh: I will do as you ask. But there is a price to pay. I will not be there to help you when you go to Z'ha'dum.

Sheridan: You already said if I go to Z'ha'dum, I'll die.

Kosh: Yes, now.

Sheridan: All right. If that's the trade-off. If you want to withhold your help when the time comes, that's fine. I'll go it alone.

Kosh: You do not understand. But you will.

Now, in your mind, replace "Sheridan" with "Diana" and "Kosh" with "Aphrodite." I don't mind Strascynski reusing similar ideas/conversations since it works, but this is all I could think during Diana's conversation with Aphrodite... [***]

Later