Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Joe Casey Comics: Wildcats Version 3.19

[Continuing my look at Joe Casey's Wildcats Version 3.0. New posts Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.]

That is the Grand Saran and, jesus, doesn't she look just like Boba Fett? I mean, exactly like Boba Fett! I've been wondering why that's the case. Is it an example of how immersed in popculture this book is? That, ultimately, it is a product of our times? Or some other bullshit like that?

Honestly, that's pretty much all I've got to say about this issue. It's one giant fight between the Coda, Zealot and the three FBI agents in Athens. Agent Orange and Zealot team-up and do some damage, but the Coda ultimately win. The issue ends with Cole Cash listening in and saying, "THAT'S IT. / TIME TO GO."

One giant action sequence, that's this issue. It's not a bad issue, but there's nothing interesting about it. Nothing worth discussing. I know, I know, the words "nothing worth discussing" shouldn't be in my vocabulary, but... it's 21 pages of fighting with a one-page "Read next issue to see how Cole Cash gets himself involved!" teaser. What the fuck am I supposed to say except that I'm not a fan of this "Coda War One" story? After a couple of spectacular issues involving corporate and government intrigue combined with commentary on the nature of superheroics in the 21st century, this is just so... lame. It's lame is what it is. It's regressive and bullshit pandering. This series was better than this shit and it's a shame that it ends with this story. I'll no doubt say that again and again over the next two weeks.

Next issue: Cole Cash forms himself a posse.